Celebrating 60 Years of Catholic Education in Thorold
Sisters Patricia Conway and Sister Margaret McGrath remember their time in Thorold with joy.
On the feast of St. Charles Borromeo, St. Charles Catholic Elementary School in Thorold, Ontario, celebrated its 60th anniversary commemoration. The Parish Mass on Saturday evening was followed by a simple pasta supper open to all the parishioners of Holy Rosary Parish, and there was an open house in the school on Sunday afternoon November 4.
At the Open House the senior students (Grade Three), carrying the Canadian flag and the school banner, led the assembled guests in the singing of the national anthem. They also sang "You are the Light of the World" and "We can make a difference" and danced their joy in celebration.
The pastor, Father Matthew, opened and concluded the formal section of the programme with prayer. Bishop John O'Mara spoke briefly about St. Charles Borromeo and the purpose of Catholic education. Civic, regional, and board officials also spoke. The mayor, Ted Luciani, and the Lincoln Regional Representative, Henry D'Angela, reminisced as graduates of St. Charles. Sister Mechtilde O'Mara, on behalf of the Sisters of St Joseph, outlined the history of their ministry in the town.
Sr. Mechtilde reminded the guests that the Sisters of St Joseph had lived and taught in Thorold for more than a century. She traced the history of the elementary education community beginning with Holy Rosary School in 1875. In 1952, St. Charles School was opened as part of what would be a trinity of schools catering to children at the primary, middle school, and senior elementary levels.
"Sisters Dympna (Patricia Conway) and Sister Ambrosia (Margaret McGrath) remember their time in Thorold with joy," she said. "Sr. Mary Catherine Doyle worked more recently as a Pastoral Assistant in Holy Rosary Parish and was instrumental in establishing the sacramental preparation programme there."
During the formal part of the celebration the Principal, Kim Kuchar, presented Sr. Mechtilde with a handsome plaque commemorating the Sisters' contribution "to the ministry of St. Charles School and to Holy Rosary Parish." In the reception which followed, several of the former teachers and parents reminisced with Sr. Mechtilde about their experience of Catholic education in Thorold. Several former teachers were mentioned with affection.
Mechtilde O'Mara CSJ