In September 1940, 12 young women, hoping to become Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto, arrived at 89 St. Alban's Street from across Canada: one from St. Patrick's in Vancouver, B.C., three from St. Joseph's in Rosetown, Sask., and the rest from Ontario — one from Whitby, two from St. Catharines and five from Toronto.
On March 19, 1941, 10 received 'the habit' and their new names, entering more fully into the life of a Sister of St. Joseph as they began their 'canonical year' of prayer, study and work within the community. On March 19, 1943, seven made their first vows and began taking part in the external works of the community. On Aug. 15, 1946, six Sisters made final vows and have persevered as Sisters of St. Joseph.
Three Sisters: Mary Frederick Sheehan, Laura McAvoy and Rosine Ogle, have gone to their eternal reward. Three Sisters, pictured above, left to right, Agnes Teresa Sheehan, Eileen Clarkson and Anne Bernier, are celebrating the goodness of God with joy and gratitude for 70 years as Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto.