Providence Healthcare Commemorates its History with a Eucharistic Liturgy
On May 17, 2007, Providence Healthcare held a Eucharistic Liturgy as one of the key activities commemorating 150 years of service to the community. The presider, Bishop Richard J. Grecco, Auxiliary Bishop of Toronto, and the concelebrants, Msgr. Brad Massman and Father John Donlin, celebrated the liturgy in the third-floor hospital chapel. Sister Mary Anne McCarthy, Director of Mission and Values at Providence, pictured above with Sisters Patricia Macaulay and Mary Fatta, coordinated this event. Each Sister of St. Joseph was presented with a carnation upon entering the chapel. A history of Providence Healthcare, included in the liturgy’s program, told the story of how the Sisters of St. Joseph came to Toronto in 1851 and founded the House of Providence.
Lloyd Cooper, Chair of Providence Healthcare’s Board of Directors, welcomed participants. All members of the Providence family, that is, Sisters of St. Joseph, Sisters Margaret Myatt and Roberta Freeman, members of Providence’s staff, volunteers and residents participated in the readings and the presentation of the gifts. In his homily, Bishop Grecco thanked the Sisters of St. Joseph, many of whom attended this liturgy, for their long history with Providence.
In her words of appreciation, the President and Chief Executive Officer, Mary Beth Montcalm, also thanked Bishop Grecco and Toronto’s Archdiocese for their continued support of Providence over the years.
A reception in the third floor Conference Centre followed the liturgy. Here participants could witness Providence’s past through photo displays and a PowerPoint presentation as they enjoyed refreshments and mingled.
Photos by Beth Johnson and Gisela Côté