Steps to Becoming a Sister
Discernment: Listening to what God is saying through prayer and the events of daily life.
The gradual steps to becoming a Sister are all rooted in discernment. This means listening to what God is saying through prayer and the events of daily life. Discernment is the foundation for all decisions in our life journey.
What follows are the five steps in this particular journey toward committing one's life as a Sister of St. Joseph:
1. Initial discernment
- A woman who feels God may be inviting her to religious life contacts the Vocation Director for an initial conversation.
- If it is mutually agreed that a possible vocation should be discerned, the woman meets regularly with the Vocation Director, as well as with an experienced Spiritual Director.
- The woman enters into a more formal period (6 months to 2 years) of discernment of her call to live in community with the Sisters of St. Joseph.
- She lives in one of our community houses while continuing with her employment or studies.
- She meets regularly to reflect on her experience with a Sister appointed as the Candidate Director.
- The woman enters full time into living as a Sister of St. Joseph.
- This is a two-year period in which a woman deepens her relationship with Jesus and with the community through prayer, study of our way of life, and involvement in apostolic activities.
- The novice meets regularly with the Sister appointed as the Novice Director.
4. First Commitment
- The woman makes profession of the vows of chastity, poverty and obedience for a period of three to six years.
- This is a time of further confirmation of the woman's call to the Sisters of St. Joseph.
5. Final Commitment
- Having confirmed through lived experience her call to be a Sister of St. Joseph, the woman makes her final vows in the community.
If you are interested in exploring the possibility of becoming a Sister of St. Joseph, please contact our Vocation Director, Sister Dorothy Schweitzer at email@example.com.
Follow Sister Divinia Pedro through these stages here.